Monday, October 27, 2008

Another Interesting Discovery...

In my previous posts, I have shared information that I had learned about my Dad's side of the family. For some reason I figured that side of the family was going to be easier to research, partly due to everything I had heard about Norway's vast genealogical records available. My family tree was looking lopsided, so I decided to begin looking for ancestors on my mom's side of the family.

A few weeks ago, my mom and I sat down and went over some names and dates associated with her side of the family. My mom's cousin had traced the Sackman family back several generations, and had provided a whole bunch of documentation, which was fantastic!

I began plugging known names and dates into Legacy (the genealogy program I am using). The tree was beginning to not look so lopsided...

For some of my research, I've been using ancestry.com . I began searching for records for my grandfather George E. Clark and found several family trees that contained his name. After further checking and confirming names, dates, and places I realized my grandfather, along with many of his ancestors were listed.

I was interested to learn that the family had a long history in New England, with many immigrants from England.

The most noteworthy person appears to be Edward Doty. If the information is correct, he appears to be my 10th great grandfather, and was actually a passenger on the Mayflower. Doty was in his early twenties when he came to America as a servant of another passenger. He apparently was quite the trouble maker among the colonists, and reportedly engaged in a sword duel with another servant. Neither were killed in the battle, but both were wounded. More information on Edward Doty can be found here and here too..

More to follow...

No comments: